Ramage Family History

William "The Elder" Goodrich

Male 1622 - 1676  (54 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name William "The Elder" Goodrich 
    Christened 13 Feb 1621 
    Born 13 Feb 1622  Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk Co., England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died Nov 1676  Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I225  Ramage | Young Lines
    Last Modified 1 Jun 2013 

    Father John Goodrich,   b. Hegesset, Suffolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Apr 1632, Hegesset, Suffolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother Margerie Howe,   b. 1 Sep 1588, Bury St Edmund, Suffolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Apr 1632, Bury St Edmund, Suffolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 43 years) 
    Married 7 Aug 1615  St. James', Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • JOHN GOODRICH of Bury St. Edmunds, in the County of Suffolk, England, was the father of William Goodrich, the early settler in Wethersfield, Connecticut, his ancestry and descendants being fully determined and published in "The Goodrich Family in America" by Lafayette Wallace Case, M.D. John Goodrich was a clothier. He inherited from his father, William Gooderich [sic] of Hegesset, Suffolk County, yeoman, by his will, dated April 4, 1631, and proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury, February 2, 1631-2, all the houses, lands, and tenements in Hegessett, and was executor of the will. The Christian name of his wife was Margerie or Margaret, who is mentioned in the will of John Goodrich, dated April 14, 1632, and proved May 16, 1632, as also his sons, William Goodrich the elder, William Goodrich the younger, John Goodrich, and Jeremy Goodrich. John Goodrich, the father of this family, was buried April 21, 1632, the same being recorded in the Parish Register of St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds. William Goodrich, the younger, was a clergyman, educated at Caius College, Cambridge, in Hegesset in 1678, willing property to sons of his brothers William the elder and John, who were the early settlers in Wethersfield. The English home of this family was, therefore, Hegesset, now called Hessett, which is six miles east of Bury St. Edmunds. Of this home and the family history in England, an account by Hon. Grant Goodrich is published in the above genealogy."
      --- William F. J. Boardman, *The Ancestry of William Francis Joseph Boardman, Hartford, Connecticut*, 1906, p 184-185
    Family ID F1638  Group Sheet

    Family Sarah Marvin,   b. 1631,   d. 1702  (Age 71 years) 
    Children 
    +1. David Goodrich,   b. 4 May 1667, Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Jan 1755, Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 87 years)
    Last Modified 28 Mar 2011 
    Family ID F128  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • William the Younger, a clergyman, died in Hegesset, and willed property to the sons of his brothers William and John
    • ==========================================================
      Mrs. C. Stark Newell of Goshen, N.Y., only child of Dr. Chas. S. J. Goodrich of New York City, found among his papers after his decease the following document, given him by Judge Charles Goodrich of Pittsfield, Mass., who was the grandson of William [with brother John, first Goodrich of Wethersfield, Conn.], given to the doctor on his 11th birthday by his grandfather then 93 years of age. The document is as follows:

      "A man by the name of Goodrich married the Duke of Marlboro's sister. By her he had two sons: John, who was named for the duke, and William. The father died, and his brother brought John and William to New England. Not long after, the duke became childless, and sent over for John to return and become heir to his estates. John embarked for England, but died on the passage. The uncle purchased a farm for William in Wethersfield, Conn. This was about the year 1640."
    • ====================================================
      William GOODRICH Ens was born about 13 Feb 1621/22 in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk Co., England. Donald Lines Jacobus and Edgar Francis Waterman say in *Hale, House and Related Families* (Hartford, CT, 1952) that William GOODRICH was baptized on 13 Feb 1621/2. He died in Nov 1676 in Wethersfield CT. Jacobus and Waterman say he died before 14 Nov 1676. 8th ggf of Gordon Fisher

      A Naubuc farm "was recorded to Thomas Uffoot in 1641, and by him sold to William Goodrich, in 1646. It was in the possession of Mr. Goodrich at the time of the survey in 1684. The Goodrich family is supposed to have come from Wales. The first settler, William, married Sarah Marvin, 1648 ..... John and William Goodrich, two orphans, came from South Wales with their mother's brother, William Stillman, about 1644. From these two sprung all of the name in America." They first settled in New Haven Colony, but subsequently removed to Wethersfield, John, about 1644, and William in 1666 [prob 1646, v.s.] Most of the persons bearing the name of Goodrich at the time of the Town's incorporation, were the sons of William Goodrich, and in the next generation the sons of Ephraim Goodrich, who married Sarah Treat the daughter of Richard Treat, in 1684."

      Source:--- Rev. Alonzo B. Chapin, D.D.; Glastonbury for Two Hundred Years, A Centennial Discourse, May 18th, A.D. 1853; Hartford, CT (Case, Tiffany and Company) 1853, p. 170-171.
    • "GOODRICH, (Guttridge, Goodridge). Two of this name, JOHN and WILLIAM, brothers, were among the first settlers of Wethersfield Genealogies of their respective families (brief, as to John), are given in Goodwin's *Genealogical Notes*. Other contributions to the history of the family are

      (1) The *Goodrich Family Memorial*, Parts 1 and 2, Compiled by Edwin Hubbard, Chicago, Ill., 1883-4, 8 vo. Mr. Hubbard d. 1890 and two parts only were pub. --- containing 109 pp.; and

      (2) *The Goodrich Family in America*, a Genealogy of the descendants of John and William Goodrich, of Weth., Ct., Richard Goodrich, of Guilford, Ct., and William Goodridge of Watertown, Mass., etc. By Lafayette Wallace Case, M. D., Chicago, Ill., 8 vo. 417 pp. This last named work we have not seen.

      Goodwin, in his Notes, p. 70, presents strong presumptive evidence of the relationship of JOHN and WILLIAM, of Wethersfield to the Rev. William Goodrich, of the estab. Church of England, who died in Hedgasett, Co. Suffolk, Eng., which fact, together with more recent investigations, since Goodwin wrote, identifies them as natives of that part of Eng. At their first coming to New Eng., they located at Watertown, Mass., where William received and recorded several pieces of land; and they came probably with the first general emigrates from Watertown to Wethersfield, 1636, where, also, they received land grands --- as see Chapt. VII, Vol. I.

      The Goodriches of England were of an ancient lineage, antedating the Norman Conquest, at which time many of the name were in possession of lands, lordships and titles, which after the manner of those times, suffered confiscation at the hands of the Conqueror. "Doomsday Rolls" are especially full of the name, which originally was Goderic --- that is "Eric," prefixed by the name of the Deity. From the number enrolled as clergy, of various ranks, it is probable that many of the name sought, in the service of the Church, that refuge from absolute poverty and dependence to which they had been reduced by the confiscation of their estates. Goodrich Castle, a noble fortalice, and erected soon after the Conquest on the banks of the river Wye, as a protection for the West of England against the incursions of the Welsh, but, still remains (though in ruins since the War between Parliament and Charles the First,) indissolubly connected with the history of the family."
      --- Henry F. Stiles, *History of Ancient Wethersfield*, 1904 (reprint 1987) p 369-370
      ============================================================