Ramage Family History

Thomas Rice, Jr

Male 1654 - 1747  (92 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Thomas Rice, Jr 
    Suffix Jr 
    Born 30 Jun 1654 
    Gender Male 
    Died 1747 
    Person ID I402  Ramage | Rice Lines
    Last Modified 13 Feb 2012 

    Father Thomas Rice, Sr,   c. 26 Jan 1626, Stanstead, Suffolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Nov 1681, Sudbury, MA, (At Marlborough Per Ward Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 55 years) 
    Mother Mary King,   b. 1630, Shaston, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Mar 1715, Sudbury, Mass Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 85 years) 
    Married 1651  Sudbury, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • (not found in the published records)
    Family ID F1241  Group Sheet

    Family 1 Mary Unknown,   d. 1667 
    Last Modified 28 Mar 2011 
    Family ID F207  Group Sheet

    Family 2 Anna Rice,   b. 19 Nov 1661,   d. 2 May 1731  (Age 69 years) 
     1. Asher Rice,   b. 1694,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Adonijah Rice,   b. 1696,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 28 Mar 2011 
    Family ID F208  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • It was a typical August morning this day in 1704 at the homestead of Thomas Rice, the family had been up for hours, the children fed and the men were about to ready for the days tasks. The women were about cleaning and cooking for the noon day meal as the men left to spread out flax in a field nearby.
      Uncle Edmund had come over to help and he had brought with him his sons. As they traveled to the field, they talked of how good the weather was and how bountiful the harvest was. Tagging along, laughing and poking at each other were the boys of the two men not even concerned with the work that lie ahead. Asher, who was the oldest of the boys and ten years old, Adonijah who was eight, both sons of Thomas and Silas age nine, Timothy age seven and Nahor age four the sons of Edmund, had other plans for the day.
      Upon reaching the field, they set about with the task at hand. The sun was rising as was the temperature and as time went on it got harder for the boys to continue on, more often was heard "Ye boys will be up for a thrashing if ye do not finish that which ye were told to do". As the men and boys continued to work, concentrating on their job, they did not hear or see the Indians lurking in the nearby woods.
      Suddenly the Indians, eight in number, rushed down the hill side whooping and began to attack the small defenseless group. Young Nahor, who had no way to defend himself, was knocked severely on the head and was dragged away by one of the Indians. The remaining boys were grabbed up and all were carried away as quickly as the attack began. The two men, Thomas and Edmund managed to escape with their lives and ran to the homestead to get weapons and more help.
      As the men, now with weapons, followed the trail of the Indians in a Northerly direction they came upon the body of Nahor. He had been slain, his lifeless body lay on the ground covered with blood and wounds made by a hatchet. The bloodied remains were buried on the spot where he lay in the southerly corner of what is now the Memorial Cemetery. The men finished their sorrowful task and set about tracking the Indians once again. The men eventually lost the trail of the Indians and reluctantly gave up the pursuit to return back to their homes.
      The Indians continued North on a direct path towards Canada. They did not tally around and only stopped to take food and drink when necessary. They set up camps in the night time to rest, keeping the camp fire flames low, for they were still in unfriendly territory and would not be able to relax until they reached the friendly lands of Canada.
      The trail to Canada may have been as shown by the gray line on this 1763 map section.
      The young boys were quickly learning the ways of the Indian, for they were not given any special consideration. Their education of the woods became important for their survival and they soon learned what berries could be eaten along the way. Their cloths became ragged and tattered and as the reached the northern boundaries of Canada, the nights became colder and their cloths less comforting. They learned that the waters that abound the lands, were not only good for drinking, but good for bathing and soothing their sore bodies. Considering their ages, it was remarkable that they made it to the final destination which was to be Caughnawaga, or Sault Saint Louis. Caughnawaga was an Iroquois reservation, situated on the south bank of the St. Lawrence, about ten miles above Montreal. Upon reaching the reservation, their education of the Indian habits and language became more important if they were to survive for they were to become white slaves to the Indian families.
      Over the next four years, the boys became more aware of their surrounding and began to act more like the Indian than the young child that they were. Young Asher, who was now fourteen years old, had not kept up with the other boys in becoming part of the Indian life. Adronijah, who was now age twelve, faired better and Timothy, now age eleven, and Silas, now age 13, seemed to fit well with their captive families.
      Thomas and Edmund never gave up on securing their sons freedom. They knew where the children were, but had no way to secret them away. It was 1708, four years after the capture, when Thomas finally negotiated the release of one of his sons. Asher, who was still having difficulty in accepting the ways of the Indian, was put up for ransom. The Indian, although not compassionate, were not against releasing Asher if certain conditions were met. During the negotiations for Asher, Thomas sold his home to raise the money for Asher's freedom. He was able to redeem his son and bring him back to what he considered civilization. He, Thomas, and Edmund would meet all of the boys and with great disappointment, they discovered that the remaining boys were not interested in becoming part of the White Mans life. The boys had become so accustomed to their new life that they were reluctant to give up what they had and learned. So with heavy hearts, Thomas and Edmund returned with the only child willing to give up the life of an Indian.
      The Rice boys that remained behind became more Indian like than white. They continued to learn from the natives and eventually became respected and an important part of the tribe. Adronjiah eventually married a French woman and established a farm near Montreal. Silas and Timothy had become more adept in the ways of the indian and eventually married Indian woman and remained in Cagnawaga.
      Timothy had impressed the Indians so much with his talents, courage, strength and warlike spirit that he was eventually adopted by the Chief as a son. He eventually became to be known as Oughtzorongoughton and became an influential Sachem of the Iroquois.
      He once returned to his native home, Westborough, in 1740. He seemed to remember the house, but could not communicate with the family for he had lost all knowledge of his native tongue.
      Upon securing Asher's freedom, they returned back to the homestead, where Asher began to relearn the White Mans way. Even as he grew older, he never recovered from his ordeal and had a constant fear of the Indian. In 1720, Thomas built for Asher a house which stands today on South Street in Westborough.
      Genealogy - The Descendants of Silas "Tannhahorens" Rice and Timothy "Oserokohto" Rice - with sources Generously donated by Gerald J. Rice ; a descendant of "Frances and Elisha and his wife from Mary, children of the first Thomas and his wife Mary King".